In 1992 thanks to a huge financing of money that Genoa received from the European Union to commemorate the 500th anniversary of the discovery of America, the Colombiadi took place, a world-wide event that made possible the total redevelopment of an area very large, once used for the sale of cotton and silk, which at the end of the 80s was semi-abandoned, becoming instead the tourist hub of the city.
Below is a brief and incomplete list of the activities present in the Porto Antico.
- Genova’s aquarium: The Aquarium of Genoa represents the main attraction of the Porto Antico with an exhibition of aquatic biodiversity from all the seas of the world, it has 1200 specimens of 400 different species. The largest aquarium in Europe.
- Bigo: Designed by the famous Genoese architect Renzo Piano, it is a panoramic lift that rotates 360 °, allowing you to admire the beauty of the city from above.
- Biosphere: A place to discover the fauna and flora of tropical forests enclosed in a large glass sphere.
- Galata Museo del Mare: If not in Genoa, where? The largest maritime museum in the whole Mediterranean, six centuries of sea history are told in 30 exhibition rooms. The route also includes reconstructions of period boats and 4300 original nautical objects.
- The city of children: The city of children is a place designed for children from 2 to 13 years old where young visitors can play and at the same time learn technology and science while having fun using paths that use interactive totems.
- Ferris wheel: Strategically positioned at the end of the pier, from the highest point you can enjoy an extraordinary view of Genoa and its industrial port.For all other more detailed information on what you will find at Porto Antico visit the website www.portoantico.it